discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Conflict alert - dotFree

Re: [opennic-discuss] Conflict alert - dotFree

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT pongonova.net>
  • To: mike AT myownsoho.net, discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Conflict alert - dotFree
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 16:35:33 -0500

Sure there is...and a decade's worth of precedence as well. OpenNIC's
policy has been to not peer "colliders," and .free would certainly
fall into this category were ICANN to go forward with the TLD.

But you and I both know that OpenNIC would be tagged as "TLD pirates,"
regardless of prior art. We would open ourselves individually to
civil liability should we choose to serve up what is "obviously" not
ours to serve.

This is why we need to decide, as a group, if organizing OpenNIC into
a corporate/non-profit structure is timely. As such, all OpenNIC
servers could be given the opportunity to operate under the OpenNIC
"umbrella," reducing personal liability concerns.

--Brian