discuss - [opennic-discuss] Registering OpenNIC as a non-profit corporation

[opennic-discuss] Registering OpenNIC as a non-profit corporation

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT pongonova.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Registering OpenNIC as a non-profit corporation
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:08:34 -0500

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 08:32:05AM -0500, Brian Koontz wrote:
> Since OpenNIC has never moved towards a legal corporate structure
> (either profit or non-profit), we don't have a leg to stand on...I'm
> afraid that this is the Achilles' heel of OpenNIC, and everything
> we've worked towards will be slowly but surely unmantled by bastards
> such as dotfree.

It costs about $350 to register a non-profit corporation in Texas.
I'd be willing to help with this, but I'm not going to foot the entire
bill. If we could get 9 other people to pitch in $35 to the effort,
then we could get registered and at least have a legal standing.

BTW, this isn't a proposal. I'm just tossing the idea out there. We
really need to figure out where we should go at this point. I've been
with OpenNIC since the (near) beginning, and we are pretty much at the
same point as we were 10 years ago.

--Brian