discuss - [opennic-discuss] Note to all new T2 server ops

[opennic-discuss] Note to all new T2 server ops

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT pongonova.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Note to all new T2 server ops
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 06:50:34 -0600

I'm the person responsible for keeping track of all the T2 servers.
Unfortunately, I do not yet have in place an automated application
process for registering T2 servers. So for now, I must manually
process the requests as I come across them in the mailing list.
I'm a bit behind, so please be patient while I catch up.

For those who might be interested in setting up a T2 server, this is
mandatory reading:

http://wiki.opennicproject.org/RunningT2

There are some additional requirements in place for T2 ops:

Your server must perform recursive lookups, and must server *all*
OpenNIC TLDs in addition to all ICANN requests. Using any zone file
other than the OpenNIC zone file is unacceptable, as other altname
systems we peer with don't necessarily peer all OpenNIC TLDs.

To register a T2 server, I must have your real name and a valid e-mail
contact. This is so we can continue to maintain the integrity of the
OpenNIC infrastructure. T2 servers are not intended to be anonymous.
You are free to set up anonymous T2 servers; they just won't be listed
in the "official list." So if you receive an e-mail asking for this
information, you know why. I usually sign my e-mails, so feel free to
use my public PGP key to verify.

Please check the accuracy of your server information here:
http://wiki.opennicproject.org/Tier2 This is the authoritative T2
list that I maintain. Eventually, this data will be pulled directly
from the T2 registry, so it will still be authoritative. If you are
anonymizing logs, please let me know to what extent and how often.

You are encouraged to join the DNS operations list: