discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Killed an IP due to excessive usage

Re: [opennic-discuss] Killed an IP due to excessive usage

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Killed an IP due to excessive usage
  • Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 18:05:11 -0700

It's not that I'm afraid of traffic, but this was a sustained stream that was pulling a huge amount of bandwidth from a single source. If it was a small burst, I wouldn't have even noticed, but the problem continued long enough that I had time to look into it, discover where the problem was at, monitor the traffic for a bit, and decide what I wanted to do about it. The traffic had completely stopped ALL other internet traffic, so it was disrupting all normal service here.

I have run bandwidth tests that never made a dent in my normal traffic. If that was a benchmark test, it is very poorly written and has no business being run on servers without notification, and it certainly should not have been run for such a long length of time. In the 11 years I've been running servers, I have never seen legitimate traffic (and especially not DNS queries) disrupt a connection like that.

Also consider this... If you have a single connection suddenly take up all of your bandwidth for no apparent reason and without any warning, would you allow that connection to persist no matter how long it went on for, or would you kill the connection in favor of serving traffic to the greater number of known queries?