discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Killed an IP due to excessive usage

Re: [opennic-discuss] Killed an IP due to excessive usage

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Killed an IP due to excessive usage
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:35:01 -0700

Yeah we've run into dns amplification attacks in the past, and we're all aware that the IP's are spoofed. I run shorewall here, and have verified that I have enabled anti-spoofing in iptables, yet somehow these packets are still getting through. Maybe iptables is forwarding the packets to the DNS server before the anti-spoofing measures are checked? I don't know, but it's annoying...

Of course most of the websites I read on dealing with dns attacks were quick to say over and over that nobody should be running a recursive DNS server except for ISP's... well goody for them. We have a legitimate reason for running recursive servers, and simply turning off recursive lookups is not currently an option. Yeah these attacks suck, but surely there must be a way to block the attacks without completely destroying the functionality of opennic?