discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Killed an IP due to excessive usage

Re: [opennic-discuss] Killed an IP due to excessive usage

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Killed an IP due to excessive usage
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 22:49:27 -0700

Oh, one more item I've been meaning to bring up... There was some discussion awhile back that limiting DNS traffic by IP address was detrimental to OpenNic being used by ISPs and/or large organizations behind a NAT. I have a counter-point to this argument... If you are a large organization with a substantial number of internal users, WHY are you relying on a 3rd-party source to do your DNS lookups rather than running your own internal DNS service? To me this sounds a lot like off-loading processing power rather than handling your own local traffic.

My point is that in a proper setup, even a small ISP should have their own local DNS service. If they wish to resolve OpenNic space, they would simply set up their own internal T2 server, which would properly route queries to either ICANN space or our T1s for opennic space. This setup would not be affected by any of the types of IP blocking I have been discussing in this or other threads. Am I missing something here?