discuss - [opennic-discuss] NPO Charter

[opennic-discuss] NPO Charter

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] NPO Charter
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 23:04:01 -0700

OK, my questions on this...
- Who is going to determine by what rules purchases are made? For example, why buy software if an OSS product is available for free? While I would vote for buying rackspace to create fixed high-bandwidth T2 servers, other people may want to progress more towards advertising, so how do we resolve this?
- How do we prevent any single person from gaining a controlling interest in OpenNic? Any time there is money involved, someone is going to try and find a way to line their pockets. Maybe not with the group of people currently involved, but money attracts those types of people. So what measures can be taken to ensure someone doesn't run off with the donations?
- How does someone become a member of this group, and under what criteria can they be forcefully removed?
- By establishing an NPO out of Sweden, are there any advantages or disadvantages to the project? Are there any problems with the majority of the members NOT being citizens of Sweden?

I know there has been previous discussions on establishing an NPO, but I generally don't follow them. How much has really been set down, and what can we do to ensure that incorporation never kills the spirit of the project?