discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Idea for 'protected' domains

Re: [opennic-discuss] Idea for 'protected' domains

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Idea for 'protected' domains
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 09:28:27 -0700

I like this, but keep in mind, Egypt shut down their BGP routers for
most of the country, and Libya is routing all traffic to a blackhole
both have dial up access outside Libya and Egypt (and international
calling has yet been affected) so this might work for www.google.com.eg
if it just routes to a European or Israeli server instead.
for any service that exists entirely inside an affected area, we'll have
select sites DNS going, pointing at what may as well be nonexistent
addresses.
Yeah there's not much we can do against physical connectivity, but at least from a software standpoint, we could make the tools ready and available to help out.
One thought due to those concerns, perhaps create a new TLD .ICANN? and
have every change under that, doesn't exactly fix all the issues, but
complex problems tend to make KISS impossible.
I was actually thinking of generating something under icann.glue, to mirror the functionality of our existing opennic.glue zone. I'm still a little fuzzy on the exact details of effecting the switch between a government-hijacked zone and the real zone, but I'm sure we can figure out something.