discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Idea for 'protected' domains

Re: [opennic-discuss] Idea for 'protected' domains

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Idea for 'protected' domains
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 09:46:41 -0700

But surely this risks massive attack for example from governments.
Could there be a defence mode in which T2 layer spawns multiple
temporary roots? Should opennic even risk getting into a cyberwar?
That's one of the reasons why OpenNic requires voting on projects such as this... There could be risks involved. We have already seen periodic DDOS attacks on various servers, and we have rode through those in any way we could. Something like this has the potential to draw an angry response from someone with the computing power and network capacity to simply DDOS us all into oblivion.

So the question becomes, does OpenNic wish to hang in the shadows and continue providing basic alternate DNS services, or are we OK with charging into a potential political minefield in the hopes that we can do something really different from ICANN?