discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Status of the BZH zone

Re: [opennic-discuss] Status of the BZH zone

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Status of the BZH zone
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 22:25:54 -0600

I'm not trying to imply any sort of time constraints here. The issue here is that the original administrator has apparently abandoned the TLD, there has been no actual use of the zone since it was created, and there has been no interest shown in keeping the TLD alive.

On top of that, it appears we did not perform due diligence in allowing this TLD in the first place, as there appears to be activity within ICANN to initiate the TLD themselves. I find several references on google to a Munich conference next week to discuss the addition of the zone, and even some registrars taking pre-registrations for domains under BZH.

If the zone goes live on ICANN, we would be forced to take a vote on which one we want to support. While its true that I initiated this vote in an attempt to eliminate an unsupported zone, the fact remains that there also appears to be no interest by anyone else in using it. Compare this with zones like .indy and .parody... Sure there is very little interest in them, but there is SOME interest, and there are a few domains registered and used.