discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Attack Countermeasures: An Exercise of Paranoia

Re: [opennic-discuss] Attack Countermeasures: An Exercise of Paranoia

  • From: Julian De Marchi <julian AT jdcomputers.com.au>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Attack Countermeasures: An Exercise of Paranoia
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 20:00:01 +1000

Heya--

[...]

Also keep in mind, that security provides no additional use to the
OpenNIC community if there is no adversary in sight. If there were no
burglars, you wouldn't need locks in your doors, would you? So dont
expect too enthusiastic response when you propose security measures
which involve lots of work (every single command has to be replicated to
all servers, keep that in mind!) but provide no immediate benefit.

OpenNIC gets abused by spammers and botnets. I personally have had to withdraw a few T2 servers due heavy bandwidth used from what I assume to be botnets and spammers(trojans on PCs using my T2s).

Operating a T2 by nature introduces this risk. It is easy to solve, don't run open resolvers. But this is what OpenNIC does...

[...]

That said, i worry that the project is completely open to attack, and
that if we are used for anything critical, the first DDOS would bring us
down, and it would be an embarrassing defeat.

True, theres that. And then theres this:

<SNIP>
#!/bin/bash

function axfrall()
{
dig @${1} axfr geek
dig @${1} axfr neo
dig @${1} axfr fur
dig @${1} axfr ing
dig @${1} axfr micro
dig @${1} axfr bbs
dig @${1} axfr dyn
dig @${1} axfr gopher
dig @${1} axfr free
dig @${1} axfr geek
dig @${1} axfr indy
dig @${1} axfr null
}
TMPFILE=/tmp/onic$RANDOM
axfrall 84.200.228.200 | grep -o
'[0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}' | sort | uniq>
${TMPFILE}
nmap -A -p 21,23,80,443 -iL ${TMPFILE} -oA opennic -vvv
<SNAP>

Looks embarrassing until you think about the people who offer T1s. They are sometimes run on shared infrastructure. I run a few of those above, and I can tell you I have 80 and 443 open as it is a dual purpose host at this point in time. Not ideal in the perfect world, but this is not.

In my perfect world OpenNIC would run anycast + keepalived DNS farms. Sadly this is not an option for OpenNIC at this time. It'd require alot off things to occur, mainly funding for the kit...

1) What is the standard operating procedure for protecting name servers
against DOS attacks?

Query rate limiting.

One of our members Jeff wrote a ddos detection script[0] which he built after many months of research. It detects attacks methods he has seen before and blocks the IP for a certain amount of time depending on the hits. You should have a basic understanding of perl and iptables before trying to play with this script.

[...]

5) What might be some novel techniques to protect name servers from
taking the full blow of sudden surges in user demand?

Shut the overloaded nameserves off. This would be a very radical and new
approach, though I dont recommend it ;-) See my answer to your point 3)
for a useful hint.

I've had too. Now the IP is fucked forever. Just like being in the NTP pool...

[...]

--julian

0 - http://wiki.opennic.glue/ddosDotPl