discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Security Management

Re: [opennic-discuss] Security Management

  • From: Tully Gray <tullygray AT arc.net.au>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Security Management
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 11:14:16 +1000

Jeff Taylor wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 08:01 AM, Falk Husemann wrote:
>> There is also this page with our T2 test script-cgi:
>> http://wiki.opennicproject.org/AutomatedDnsServerTesting
>
> I just updated that page with more recent information and corrected
> links. The code can be made available, but the code that performs
> individual server testing may be more legible.
>
>> Is that scripts source available? I'd like to add some secure
>> configuration checks and maybe tinker around with a weathermap for
>> summary information. I think of a map of the opennic project made
>> in graphviz or compareable, that shows the current hierachy of
>> T0-T1-T2 with short summary boxes below them for integrity and
>> security checks. It could incomporate the following:
>>
>> - Availability % - Port Randomness? - Version hidden?
>
> I'm not sure if this is useful for your project, but since you
> mentioned maps, I wanted to point you to the GeoIP map project I
> worked on last year -- http://opennic.oss/geomap/geomap.php This
> could be useful for any map projects, as I have already worked out
> the scaling for the lat/lon placement of positions on the map.
>
>> Is there a authoritive source for T1 and T2 servers? Is it in the
>> glue zone? I guessed that dns.opennic.glue lists all T2.
>
>> From linux...
> T1 servers: dig opennic.glue NS | grep IN[[:space:]]A T2 servers: dig
> dns.opennic.glue AXFR | grep IN[[:space:]]A | grep -v
> ^dns.opennic.glue TLD list: dig +short TXT tlds.opennic.glue
>
>> What affirmation process is needed to be able to do
>> portscans/vulnerability scans with the OpenNIC servers? This can be
>> used to determine further security recommendations. AFAIK non
>> attack preparing portscans are legal from my country, but Id like
>> to discuss this first, to not hurt anyones feelings :)
>
> If you are doing in-depth testing that would normally trigger
> firewalls or IDS, it would be best to limit this in the final
> version. However if you need to check the results of a particular
> test as you develop your script, ask one of us on IRC, and we can let
> you know of any ill results or remove any firewall blocks that occur
> from your testing.
>

> -------- You are a member of the OpenNIC Discuss list. You may
> unsubscribe by emailing discuss-unsubscribe AT lists.opennicproject.org

Hi,

I was wondering what types of non-network related security measures
people are using to secure their servers? For instance I use hardened
Gentoo which offers some great features like SELinux, RBAC, and the
GRsecurity and PaX patches for the Linux kernel. These features can
be considered to be a second line of defense after network security
features. For instance; if an attacker does manage to hack into a server
and gain control of a user or service account, SELinux/RBAC rules can
provide fine-grained access permissions which should stop further
privilege escalation. The PaX team is responsible for pioneering ASLR
(Address Space Layout Randomization) and other counter-measures
which stop most forms of kernel hacking and return-to-libc type attacks.

Tully Gray.