discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Amazon Hosting

Re: [opennic-discuss] Amazon Hosting

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT opennicproject.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Amazon Hosting
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 01:09:36 -0500

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:49:33PM -0400, Ryan Trinder wrote:
> Hey OpenNIC,
>
> I was considering hosting a tier 2 in Amazon and was curious what everyone
> thinks about that?
>
> Also, how are most hosting tier 2s? If I were not in such a space and
> bandwidth controlled apt, a spare server would be my first idea.

Keep in mind a T2 runs anywhere from 5GB-20GB of data a month. You
need to check Amazon's TOS to make sure they don't try to throttle you
or prohibit DNS.

> This also made me think about how OpenNIC could incorporate as a 501c3. I
> noticed that this
> topic<http://lists.opennicproject.org/arc/discuss/2010-10/msg00017.html>was
> brought up in 2010 by Brian Koontz, did it go anywhere?

Alex and I are working on this. We will probaby incorporate in TX,
only because (1) we both live here and (2) we're familiar with
incorporating.

501(c)(3) formation is separate from incorporating, and is rather
expensive. We will probably start by creating a non-profit OpenNIC
"foundation" of some sort, and move from there.

> OpenNIC is a really cool project btw, I am excited to contribute.

And we are excited you're here!

--Brian

--
OpenNIC (the sequel) co-founder and wikimaster
IRC: Freenode.net channel #opennic