discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Google map beta testing

Re: [opennic-discuss] Google map beta testing

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Google map beta testing
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 01:22:09 -0600

Regarding the popups no longer working... The tooltips were implemented through a js routine, so that could be the culprit.  I couldn't figure out how to get tooltips working with the native libraries.

As for a flat-text file listing server names and status...
http://www.opennicproject.org/t2log/t1status.txt
http://www.opennicproject.org/t2log/t2status.txt

The first line of each file is a unix timestamp indicating when the file was generated.  Does that information work for you?

The problem with creating multiple points at the exact same location is that you have no way of accessing every point behind the front one, so how do you retrieve the information about each server located there?  By combining the data into a single popup window, I can at least view all of the servers.

On 07/10/2012 12:10 AM, Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet) wrote:

Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net> schrieb:

>> green=ok, yellow=failed testing, red=offline.  The information is
> still
>> updated once every 15 minutes.
...seems very nice so far i can use it from phone att ;)

May be OpenLayers TextFile feature is interesting for you as it allows to read in a whole data layer into a static (and so cachable) HTML / JS map by http or other protocols.

Afaik from OpenNIC project there still is a live list of servers anywhere with check status which may read in over that TextFile (with a php, perl or python script "behind" just fitting the format of the list for OL. If there is not such a simple status file line by line it may be a good point now to realize such a file by http as i.e. usual / proven by RIPE, IANA and others internally...

See i.e. my first example for general usage, but there are still others in the net too.

  In the case where multiple servers
> are
>> listed under a single point, if you left-click the point, a popup
> window
>> will give you the status of each server.

The "original" OL libs does handle multiple points at the same location too if required.

just btw:
It seems the pop ups are not workig under android chrome anymore as in your last map. Generally it could be wise to use as much as possible from the libs and just manipulate / overload that where you need it as most libs are tested very widely against different browsers and platforms.

hth
best regards,

Niels.