discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [TLD Suggestion] .tiny

Re: [opennic-discuss] [TLD Suggestion] .tiny

  • From: Bjorn Peeters <bjorn AT bjornpeeters.be>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [TLD Suggestion] .tiny
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:10:40 +0100

I even doubt it's technically possible by only using A records for each redirect.

The most simple solution, i suppose, would be to get a tld wildcard in there,
redirecting *.tld to 1 location, and have a script at that location handle content.
if you were to create a separate A record for each link, you'd end up at a server,
and with vhosts it would ask you were you think you're going...

So:
- a tld *dedicated* to short urls
- redirecting everything non-existant to register.tld
- requiring ONLY a link and back-end creating a redirect for it with a short url
- and with an expiration of, say, 3 months?
would be quite interesting and an added value.

but someone will have to check RFC's to see if a wildcard on a tld is allowed (i have my doubts? though .invalid and such do the same iirc)
and someone will have to write the script to handle the wildcards.

On 02/15/2013 07:36 PM, Guillaume Parent wrote:
> Remember: every short url would actually be a domain and would have to have its zone.

I wasn't aware that the RFCs forced you to create zones rather than A records after the TLD. It does change things a bit if that's the case.