discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [TLD Suggestion] .tiny

Re: [opennic-discuss] [TLD Suggestion] .tiny

  • From: Bjorn Peeters <bjorn AT bjornpeeters.be>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [TLD Suggestion] .tiny
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:39:25 +0100

ofcourse it's no problem configuring 1 site for all .tld domains.
that's not the issue i'm stating.

the issue i'm stating is if you use A records for domains that are basically redirects,
you're telling the client go to my ip xxx to fetch a redirect to site yyy
whereas using a wildcard on the tld itself, you're telling EVERY client, looking for ANY domain within the .tld to go to site zzz, and that site will just forward you to site yyy.

much more logical and much cleaner.

On 02/15/2013 08:23 PM, Guillaume Parent wrote:
> if you were to create a separate A record for each link, you'd end up at a server,
and with vhosts it would ask you were you think you're going...

Wildcard records won't be different in that regard, but anyway it's trivial to configure a web server so that it serves the same site on more than one domain.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Bjorn Peeters <bjorn AT bjornpeeters.be> wrote:
I even doubt it's technically possible by only using A records for each redirect.

The most simple solution, i suppose, would be to get a tld wildcard in there,
redirecting *.tld to 1 location, and have a script at that location handle content.
if you were to create a separate A record for each link, you'd end up at a server,
and with vhosts it would ask you were you think you're going...

So:
- a tld *dedicated* to short urls
- redirecting everything non-existant to register.tld
- requiring ONLY a link and back-end creating a redirect for it with a short url
- and with an expiration of, say, 3 months?
would be quite interesting and an added value.

but someone will have to check RFC's to see if a wildcard on a tld is allowed (i have my doubts? though .invalid and such do the same iirc)
and someone will have to write the script to handle the wildcards.

On 02/15/2013 07:36 PM, Guillaume Parent wrote:
> Remember: every short url would actually be a domain and would have to have its zone.

I wasn't aware that the RFCs forced you to create zones rather than A records after the TLD. It does change things a bit if that's the case.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Bjorn Peeters <bjorn AT bjornpeeters.be> wrote:
Remember: every short url would actually be a domain and would have to have its zone.
that zone would also have to be announced and propagated...

On 02/15/2013 05:14 PM, Guillaume Parent wrote:
It's not pollution if you make a TLD just for that purpose. It's a service.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 6:42 AM, Bjorn Peeters <bjorn AT bjornpeeters.be> wrote:
Making shortened urls as domains may be interesting, but it would also pollute the dns?

Interesting and possibly usefull as it may be, there are quite a few details to work out