discuss - RE: [opennic-discuss] Hey I have a question about internationalized DNS

RE: [opennic-discuss] Hey I have a question about internationalized DNS

  • From: "John Kozlowski \(ShofarDomain.com\)" <John.Kozlowski AT ShofarDomain.com>
  • To: <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: RE: [opennic-discuss] Hey I have a question about internationalized DNS
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 18:40:15 -0500

The DNS protocol uses bytes, so 16 or 21 bit Unicode characters have to be
encoded. Using UTF8 would work fine, but there was a concern that you could
fool someone to going to a rouge site by using look alike characters, such as
a Cyrillic ‘Ϻ’ in place of an Latin ‘M’. Punycode makes it obvious that you
are using extended characters. However, this is just another way of doing
things when UTF8 would be great. Fundamentally this issue of misdirection is
probably overrated.

To experiment with this I obtained a name using Cyrillic characters. Some
browsers, such as IE, display punycode (http://xn--80aa3agvl7b6d.net), while
others like Firefox display the UTF8 (http://матрёшка.net). The is Russian
for Matryoshka.

Personally I think IE got it wrong (have you heard this before?) since this
is unreadable for us normal humans. It might be nice if Firefox would
somehow highlight the fact that extended characters are used.

Clearly as long as you are sending compatible information in the DNS query
how you store or manage that in an application can be either punycode, UTF8,
UTF16, UTF32, or EBCIDIC. You might have issues with the last one.

John Kozlowski