discuss - [opennic-discuss] Discussion about NS6

[opennic-discuss] Discussion about NS6

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Discussion about NS6
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 16:01:00 -0600

I think it's time to discuss what we want to do regarding NS6 and its zones (bbs and dyn). Texnofobix has been with the group for quite some time, but nobody has been able to get in touch with him since the beginning of April. The bbs zone appears dead (last serial is from October 2012), and I don't know if the dyn zone ever got off the ground.

So first off, if anyone has a way to get in touch with texnofobix (other than his gmail account he has posted on the bss/dyn web pages), please reach out and see if he's still alive...

Failing any further contact, we should probably make plans next week to remove NS6 from our configuration. For the most part, this is fairly simple... Once the server is removed from opennic.glue, it will automatically be stripped from the root zone, most of the tier-1 servers, and many of the tier-2 servers using the automation scripts. It will need to be manually removed from all of the TLD zones, and any remaining public server that have this information hard-coded.

The matter which needs the most attention is the TLD zones. Obviously .bss has not been used for awhile, but perhaps there is still some interest in resurrecting it? Unfortunately we have no record of who owns what domains, so these would need to be re-registered by anyone interested. I only see 28 domains currently registered, so this is not a huge issue.

Additionally, there is the .dyn zone... There were plans to make an open ddns system through OpenNIC, but it never progressed. If there is still some interest in this, however, I've been thinking we have a fairly useful structure in the way the IP whitelist system works, and the same setup could be used as a starting point for building a ddns system. So yeah, if there's still any interest in retaining this zone, I'll put my name in the hat for taking ownership and getting it running.