discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Server Downtime

Re: [opennic-discuss] Server Downtime

  • From: gp AT gparent.net
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Server Downtime
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 04:10:26 +0000

Okay, except your complaint had to do with (apparently) "having a single server go down does not take down an entire discussion group."

Now I'm not going to claim I know NNTP well (I don't), and I'm not going to claim I know Usenet well (I don't), but what I know about email is that unless all you have is one server, one server going down does not take out an entire discussion group.

Since you have failed to provide any details about Usenet related to redundancy, load-balancing and/or fail-over, all I'm going to say is that throwing up a backup server for accessing the mailing list and operating it wouldn't be a big deal. Perhaps Usenet can do this without having more than one server? Cool?

I don't think it's useful though. The mailing list isn't really so critical that it can't handle a couple hours of downtime.