discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: .bit / Namecoin peering

Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: .bit / Namecoin peering

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: .bit / Namecoin peering
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 10:39:09 -0600

Actually the only ones who believe the Earth was the center of the universe were the religious nutjobs who wanted to control everyone with the belief that they are important.  This is right up there with the common belief that in the time of Christopher Columbus (mis-credited with discovering America), everyone believed that the world was flat.  The truth is that sailors have been using circumnavigation for much longer, instead of using what would appear to be a straight path if you were looking at a flat-world map.

OpenNIC is not "my" project.  In fact the person originally responsible for creating it is not longer with the project.  Yes there are a few people who make changes and do a lot of work behind the scenes, but those changes are made in the interests and desires of the community.  Brian set up the T2 wiki page in response to the request for a centralized location for that information.  I created the reports page based on requests to keep track of what servers were available or experiencing problems.  The entire collection of everything that makes up OpenNic is mostly based on pieces that were created by individuals to fill a need.  You see some names more often that others because those people take a more active role in developing the tools or the policies or spreading the word about our project.

You say you want to see the project grow with more servers, and yet you were just arguing *against* having so many servers.  And what is the point of having more TLDs if we can't get people interested in creating original content on the domains they have registered?  We have had literally thousands of domains registered under .free and .pirate and yet you would have to look very hard to find even a single original page, and a large portion of registered domains don't even point to websites.  Diversity in TLDs is only useful if content is being created.