discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: .bit / Namecoin peering

Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: .bit / Namecoin peering

  • From: Alejandro Bonet <albogoal AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: .bit / Namecoin peering
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:37:58 +0200

Dear Jeff Taylor:

This is the key question, we (you and me) will never agree: Your
personal point of view and my personal point of view are different in
this question.

You say: "It is better to distinguish between T1 and T2, because T1
are redundant and authoritative, and T2 are not".

And i say: "Well, you can 'categorize' the servers as you want, but
they are only servers. If you want redundance to get reliability, you
dont need 10 T1s redundance for each TLD. You only need two or three
servers for each TLD, and you will get almost the same redundance as
with ten servers (because when the two or three servers hang
simultaneously, then probably the problem is global, and it can hang
ten or twenty servers also). And, in respect to authoritative
probability of inconsistence in responses, is 5 (or 3.3) times greater
than if you only have two or three authoritative servers for that TLD.
Also if you need to replicate each complete TLD zone file in each T1
server, and requiring a T1 (as authoritative and redundant) server for
each TLD, this will run well with ten TLDs, but not with 5000 TLDs."

This discussion will never ends: You have your opinion, and i have mine.

Both have advantages and disadvantages, at different scales.

The main diference is only "in style".

(About the "argument of authority" in the sense that "there are people
just going walk in and create a new TLD without any knowledge of how
BIND works, and sometimes without any understanding of how DNS works",
i dont know if you are saying this for me, but i only want to say you
i wrote a DNS client for arduino some years ago, and it is running
perfectly since that, on many installations, 24h/365d).

From scratch. Building and parsing complete DNS-QUERY/RESPONSE UDP
packets, field by field, bit by bit, on 16 bit tedious microprocessor
assembler language, with redudant compression of domains, of course.

Alejandro Bonet
albogoal AT gmail.com

http://registro.ibu

ns1.ibu: 87.216.170.85