discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Using OpenNIC behind OpenDNS "family filter"

Re: [opennic-discuss] Using OpenNIC behind OpenDNS "family filter"

  • From: Niles Rogoff <nilesrogoff AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Using OpenNIC behind OpenDNS "family filter"
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 09:19:38 -0400

Ok. In that case, you would have to write your own DNS script, or modify the source of a DNS server.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 8:26 PM, Quinn Wood <wood.quinn.s AT gmail.com> wrote:
On Oct 15, 2014, at 16:13, Niles Rogoff <nilesrogoff AT gmail.com> wrote:

> It is possible to do this. Most routers allow you to set their forwarding DNS server, if it only allows one server, you must make your own DNS server. Otherwise, simply make a DNS server whose primary forwarder is OpenDNS, and secondary is OpenNIC. If OpenDNS returns a NXDOMAIN, it should move to OpenNIC.

I believe typical resolver behavior is to return NXDOMAIN, not move on to the next server. The next server should only be queried if the first doesn't reply or my assumptions about resolver behavior are incorrect.