discuss - [opennic-discuss] Updating the server reporting scripts

[opennic-discuss] Updating the server reporting scripts

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Updating the server reporting scripts
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:29:30 -0700
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx4.sourpuss.net 7F5792D3AE

I've spent the last couple days rewriting a new test procedure, and it is nearing completion. The goal was to decrease how hard the testing hits NS0, plus create a single interface that could be used consistently for all testing -- right now there are separate scripts for the tests seen on the report page and the test performed on an individual server. This is something we've had problems with in the past, where a server may appear to pass the individual page, but fail on the report page.

So as I'm wrapping up this bit of code, and I was wondering if there were any ideas for new tests that should be performed on each server? Currently I check for proper use of NXDOMAIN, the SOA and NS records for each OpenNIC TLD, and for tier-2 servers I check five ICANN domains (either A or AAAA records, depending on if the tier-2 server is IPv4 or IPv6). If there are any query failures, I am keeping a copy of the output for troubleshooting. So what else could be tested for? What could be useful for troubleshooting? Any other general information that should be checked?