discuss - RE: [opennic-discuss] Uniting with other roots

RE: [opennic-discuss] Uniting with other roots

  • From: "John Kozlowski \(ShofarDomain.com\)" <John.Kozlowski AT ShofarDomain.com>
  • To: <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: RE: [opennic-discuss] Uniting with other roots
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 21:12:59 -0500

Some of the other alternative roots are https://namespace.us,
http://www.inaic.net (which may be defunct), and http://cesidianroot.net
(which is a bit odd).

Being a commercial root is not bad. Being a monopoly root is.

I don’t think we need to form a larger group, or merge with others, but
rather use technology to remove the monopoly power.

Change the resolver such that it does not start at “the” root, but all roots.
Therefore when someone resolves “example.com” the ICANN root will respond.
When someone resolves “example.ing” both OpenNIC and ICANN’s root will
respond. In this case you could check the SLD to see if both continue to
respond. If both do then the end user via configuration can choose.

When conflicts occur, this puts the choice in the hands of the user, not the
system. When no conflict occurs, then we are all available, commercial,
non-profit, or whatever.

As mentioned, I wrote one that worked fine. It should reappear soon. Others
can do the same as the concept is not difficult.

Respectfully,

John Kozlowski