discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds

Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT opennicproject.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 21:56:42 -0700

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 02:05:16PM -0600, Quinn Wood wrote:
> Honestly, I'm not sure what benefit there is to a legal entity. At this
> time I'm not seeing a reason to support this.

We have no legal standing when the time comes to actually challenge ICANN.
Dontations are hard to come by if there's not some legal entity that
exists, people (for the most part) aren't just going to send us money.
Without some sort of legal entity representing us, we are just a hobbyist
group. Which might be fine for some.

--Brian