discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Call for vote to drop ING

Re: [opennic-discuss] Call for vote to drop ING

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Call for vote to drop ING
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 22:53:44 -0700
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx2.sourpuss.net 591F62D496

There is one potential alternative to completely dropping the ING tld... What if we prefixed TLDs with a hyphen, so instead of example.ing we would use example.-ing. It doesn't look as pretty, but the hyphen is a valid character for domain names and should be recognized by all software. It would also greatly reduce the chances of a future collision. Also consider the ramifications if all of our TLDs were prefixed with the hyphen -- it could become our branding, easily recognizable and more easily defended if a court case were to ever arise.

Just a thought to ponder...

Keep in mind that we'll probably be having this discussion again very soon because there has been talk of ICANN introducing a .free tld, so if we can find another solution to reduce future conflicts it would solve a lot of headaches down the road.