discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] EMC - peering problem - UPDATE

Re: [opennic-discuss] EMC - peering problem - UPDATE

  • From: Oleg Khovayko <khovayko AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] EMC - peering problem - UPDATE
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 00:00:52 -0400

Colleagues,

I see, our geolocation service works unstable.
More over, after additional thinking, I understand, there is not needed real geolocation, because of network topology is not 1:1 mapped to geography.
Thus, there is just single real criteria to select a best service - measure latencies between client and all available OpenNIC T2 servers, and provide to client
report, sorted by latency.

Implementation:
This can be JAVA program, runs from browser. When starts, program downloads from OpenNIC list of servers, and probe each one couple times.
Thereafter, compute average latency and standard deviation, and print in HTML-report to user in the browser.

Programming:
I am not JAVA programmer, I use C++. So, this is better, if someone java-guru will write this program.
However, if there is not appropriate person, I will write program myself (and learn JAVA in process).

So, let we discuss this idea, and if needed - assign this task to me.

Oleg

Jeff Taylor wrote:
I don't understand. The local servers don't show up for you when you check the list at http://report.opennicproject.org/geoip/geotxt5.php ?