discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Wizard on GitHub

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Wizard on GitHub

  • From: "mike" <mike AT pikeaero.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Wizard on GitHub
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 08:24:00 -0500

Sorry, for not making more detailed docs and commentary on the commits, I'm notorious for that. :)

I believe that register.fur was out of service when I tested it, so I was not sure if .fur TLD was still up and reliable and if it should be used, so I think that's why I took it out.

The bootstrap.domains file is used to enumerate both ICANN and OpenNIC (or other) domains to test periodically in order to generate the latency/availability feedback.
So it is not super critical to list *all* of the OpenNIC domains, but, I think it is probably more important that they are reliable.

The "score" (which ultimately leads to which DNS resolvers are selected for use) is an aggregate of the latency, availability, resolvability.

I'm wondering if the the bootstrap.domains file should be more "rich"? It's been years since I originally worked on OpenNIC Wizard, I'll have to re-examine exactly how they are used, and perhaps the scoring could be improved. As I recall, the whole thing was originally done rather hastily, with a large portion of the effort spent toward just getting it to install and function seamlessly on most flavours of Windows(tm).

Also I notice from the FAQ that OpenNIC is also resolving
EmerCoin, Namecoin, and New-Nations.
I wonder if the bootstrap.domains file also should contains a sampling of those domains?

In any case, I never did get a new release together the other day. I was having trouble getting a Windows(tm) build environment working properly (I don't normally use Windows(tm)). However I now have a good Windows(tm) build environment, so it's full steam ahead now.

--Mike