discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Please read carefully: fvz-rec-* servers shutting down!

Re: [opennic-discuss] Please read carefully: fvz-rec-* servers shutting down!

  • From: Alex Hanselka <alex AT opennicproject.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Please read carefully: fvz-rec-* servers shutting down!
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:13:55 -0500

Hi D.T!

OpenNIC as you know is made entirely of volunteers. No one here is paid for their contributions of time or resources. As such, there are times where a contributor must shut down their servers or leave the project. This isn't terribly common, but it does happen. After all, running servers is a rather significant time and monetary commitment!

Having come across some bad times, Fusl is having to turn off their servers. Fusl is a very active member of OpenNIC and thus ran a lot of servers. Since we are all volunteers, we certainly don't turn away people who want to run servers. Fusl's servers are among some of our older servers and so this event is extremely unexpected and unusual.

I have no doubts that Fusl will continue to donate their time to OpenNIC and be an active member of the community, but the monetary cost of running the servers is too much a burden at this time. As much as we all love OpenNIC, members own health and financial security are far more important than running a server.

Unfortunately these kinds of things do happen in a volunteer project such as this, especially when operating a T2 is such an open process.

As for your other question, a T2 is a resolving DNS server. It is what any user of OpenNIC would be using. We also have T1 servers, but they are slightly more transparent to the end user. T1 servers are the ones that are authoritative for our domains (.free, .geek, etc.). There is also a T0 server that is the "master" server, but as an end user, you're unlikely to ever come across it.

I hope these answers helped some! Please let me/us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

--Alex

On 10/8/2015 1:34 AM, D.T. wrote:
> hello, > i only recently joined the mailing list, and this message has taken me by surprise. > after having a look at the list of servers being shut down - both servers i'm currently using are on that list. of course i can change that, but i'm trying to get a sense of the importance of this event. > > what i'm asking: > does this mean that a significant amount of all opennic dns servers are being shut down very soon? > i'm a bit surprised how one single person can have servers in so many countries... > > while i cannot "commit to sponsor continuation", i'm very willing to make a donation. > would a donation to the opennic project help? > i'd prefer a normal bank transfer, but maybe i'll figure out bitcoin one of these days... > > PS: > why are we talking about "Tier 2" servers? it seems all the opennic dns servers are tier 2 servers? > > cheers, > > > danter > > > On 10/07/2015 04:43 PM, Fusl Dash wrote:
Dear OpenNIC users!

Due to recent events (complications with my old employer resulting in getting fired) I will have to put this to stop and discontinue providing most* of the OpenNIC Tier2 servers named "fvz-rec-*".

It is a very hard decision for me to do this but the lack of income and the server costs of about 500€ per month forces it anyway sooner or later, else I'll be broke and things will get worse.

If you are willing to commit to sponsor continuation of specific server(s) please contact me directly for a donation (either to me or as credits to the provider).

You can find the full list of Tier2 servers I provided here: https://scr.meo.ws/paste/2015-10-07-15-29-02-X48cYQK6.html

You can find suitable replacement servers here: https://www.opennicproject.org/nearest-servers/

Read here how to update your Tier2 servers used: https://www.opennicproject.org/configure-your-dns/