discuss - [opennic-discuss] Bind9 ram consumption

[opennic-discuss] Bind9 ram consumption

  • From: Julien Champenois <juchampenois AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Bind9 ram consumption
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 18:26:23 +0100

Hey Opennic Community,

I have a quick question, since a day or two my named (bind9) process is maxing out my ram and thus DNS server stops answering (which is really annoying).

Before my config was the following:

max-cache-size 0; // Default

This was the default and it is unlimited, meaning that records are purged from the cache only when their TTLs expire. I guess that my server was receiving many queries from and the TTL wasn't reached before the process was actually reaching the max RAM I have. I've set this to 512M for testing.
So, I'm just wondering, what setting do you have? How much ram is your DNS server using (only the DNS process). Any advice on how to optimise the server?

Thanks
Julien :)