discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Bind9 ram consumption

Re: [opennic-discuss] Bind9 ram consumption

  • From: Evaggelos Balaskas <Evaggelos AT balaskas.gr>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Bind9 ram consumption
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 15:26:00 +0300
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.10.3 ns14.ebalaskas.gr 627D924DA9

I guess a good strategy is to set something like 80% of your real mem.
Are you seeing any swapiness with max-cache-size 0 ?

you could also play with:

max-cache-ttl seconds;
max-ncache-ttl seconds;

to fine tune your settings.

Another solution is to change from bind to something else. I did it with
powerdns!

On 10/13/2015 08:26 PM, Julien Champenois wrote:
> Hey Opennic Community,
>
> I have a quick question, since a day or two my named (bind9) process is
> maxing out my ram and thus DNS server stops answering (which is really
> annoying).
>
> Before my config was the following:
>
> max-cache-size 0; // Default
>

> This was the default and it is unlimited, meaning that records are
> purged from the cache only when their TTLs expire. I guess that my
> server was receiving many queries from and the TTL wasn't reached before
> the process was actually reaching the max RAM I have. I've set this to
> 512M for testing.
>
> So, I'm just wondering, what setting do you have? How much ram is your
> DNS server using (only the DNS process). Any advice on how to optimise
> the server?
>

> Thanks
>
> Julien :)

Unix System Engineer