discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 12:21:56 -0700
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx3.sourpuss.net 782552D529

Something else I meant to add to this discussion, and forgot about yesterday, regards the perceived reliability of opennic. This is the whole reason this matter came up for discussion to begin with, but some people seem to not understand, so I wanted to provide an example...

Let's say somebody gives you a car. It's not the nicest car, but there are some things about it that you really like, so much that you decide to get rid of all your other cars and only use this one. Now you rely on this car for everything -- getting to work, picking up groceries, helping your kids with school -- but one day the car just stops working. There's no explanation, and since the car doesn't work you can't even go see the person who gave you the car. You finally discover a way to make it work again, so you go to the manufacturer to complain. Unfortunately they blow you off. "Only half of the cars failed, and we gave it to you for free anyway, so what are you complaining about? Besides, it works now, so no harm, right?"

In this kind of situation, anyone would be angry, and you would have little faith in that manufacturer after this point. You would probably go online to express your frustration and other people who had no previous knowledge of the product would be swayed by your opinions.

OpenNIC is a product. We may not be incorporated, and we may not sell anything, but it is a name known for what it provides. OpenNIC has been running since 1999, and many people have worked hard to keep it alive and well, and provide a reliable service that inspires trust in those who come asking about it. The situation above describes what happens when you let one person control a large percentage of the available servers. I don't even know if the effected server ever went offline, but the point is they *could* have. What happens if somebody doesn't like the way things are run, and decides to suddenly drop all of their servers? Keep in mind that all of the public DNS servers are provided by volunteers who have the ultimate say over what they are contributing. Not everybody will agree all the time. There has already been some serious heat in regards to this very debate.

The point of creating limitations is to minimize the impact of any single individual dropping out of the project. Yes, it is great that some people are willing and able to contribute a large number of servers, but the concern is about the impact to opennic when any individual decides to leave (and in some cases, circumstances may force their departure). We want to provide a solid service to opennic users, but it is also beneficial to have larger numbers of servers available, so where do we draw the line?

To some extent, we can control the impact through the suggested servers on the front page of the website. I have been working on some new code (nearly complete) which will generate a list of public servers with the requirement that there is some diversity in the owners of the servers, so that nobody should be impacted by a single member leaving the project. Ideally if we had something like anycast available, it would never matter if servers left as the users would still be connected to working servers, however that service costs more money than we can reasonably guarantee. As mentioned previously there may be other software solutions that can help us out. But for now, we have to work with what we've got, and that includes a danger to users when servers are removed from the list.