discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 10:05:40 -0700
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx4.sourpuss.net 8B3CA2D44B

Sure you can change your vote. I didn't realize this issue would be so closely divided or I would have put up an official vote on the website.

I just added in the votes from yesterday, we're now currently standing at 9 votes for A and 8 votes for B. There is obviously not going to be any clear leader in this discussion, so perhaps what we need to do is shift our focus to a better compromise between the two positions...

Per my previous email, I have just launched the new geoip code which by default will try to maximize the number of different server admins represented in the results. Since a large number of people are using the results from https://www.opennicproject.org/nearest-servers/ I believe this will go a long way towards minimizing the impact to users when an admin removes their servers, however a lot of people still seem keen on the idea of limiting the number of official servers any one admin is allowed to provide. So what should that number be? It seems most fair to keep this as a percentage of the total list. As mentioned before, that is currently set at 25%, which is adjusted downward for admins who have been hosting opennic servers for less time. Should we increase this maximum? What value would be satisfactory to everyone? 33%? 50%? Let's try to find a balance that everyone is comfortable with, but still allows for a substantial number of servers to be added by those with the resources.