discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?

  • From: Jacob Bachmeyer <jcb62281 AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 17:40:30 -0600

I still support B; although a compromise involving both sorting the list and some very high limit (~60%?) might be helpful.

Another option is a soft limit--allow any number of servers to entered in the list but hide servers that would exceed the limit for an operator.

Jeff Taylor wrote:
Would anyone else care to comment on this? The topic has been dead for the past two weeks but we never really reached a solution. I just re-read the thread, and it seems like the responses are pretty evenly divided between:

A) Set limitations per person, but do not count sponsored servers in those limits

B) Do not enforce any limitations, allow members to add as many servers as they have, but code the nearest-server page to spread the suggested IP's across multiple admins.

One caveat we've run in to while asking sponsors to send an email to opennic administration -- none of the sponsors seem to be willing or have the time to write an email. While it still seems prudent to try and impose *some* restrictions, the reality seems to be that nobody is willing to even try and work with us on the matter.

In addition to unresponsive sponsors, we've had admins deleting all of their servers in protest of having any limitations at all (in case anyone has wondered why the number of available servers has fluctuated a lot lately), and on IRC an almost daily stream of "shdwdrgn is solely responsible for preventing me from adding more servers to the list". Fine, whatever, fortunately it's not up to me to make policy for opennic, I just step in to do damage control when needed.

So folks, let's hear it. Do you want to see option A) or B) implemented? Just give me an email vote of which way opennic should handle this issue, and we can move forward from there.