discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Site not resolved by multiple OpenNIC DNS servers

Re: [opennic-discuss] Site not resolved by multiple OpenNIC DNS servers

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Site not resolved by multiple OpenNIC DNS servers
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 17:43:54 -0700
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx1.sourpuss.net 0E0E02D525

Just to clarify, and this was also discussed on IRC, this is NOT a matter of opennic servers blocking the sites, nor is it a matter of any individual operators taking it upon themselves to block queries.

I asked d0wn to look into it because a few of his servers were affected by the problem.  All of d0wn's servers receive the same configuration, yet a few were failing this lookup, while most others still worked.  There was no pattern found in the server host, however most of the affected machines seemed to be either in France or Canada.  Even this doesn't make much sense, since their governments are not connected (and thus would not share any regulations to block specific sites).

There also seems to be no connection to where the user issues queries from.  I'm in the US and see the same blocks, yet someone in Canada was able to query the same servers and get the expected results.  As far as I've hear, nobody seems to know what is causing this.  The fact that some people get the expected results while others appear blocked would indicate that the opennic server is trying to answer the queries for everyone, and it is likely being blocked elsewhere in the stream.