discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Let's Encrypt

Re: [opennic-discuss] Let's Encrypt

  • From: "Neal J. de Waard" <inewbcake AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Let's Encrypt
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 21:42:06 +0200

No, they cannot issue certs to domains under TLDs not recognized by ICANN. (.onion wouldn't get you a valid cert either.)
You can probably generate a cert for your site, but users will get an invalid cert and get a warning in their browser because it's not in the CN or the SAN.

Disclaimer: I have not tried myself, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
Neal.