discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Project Adoption

Re: [opennic-discuss] Project Adoption

  • From: Rouben <rouben AT rouben.net>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Project Adoption
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 12:51:27 -0400

Community colleges! Specifically IT programs. For example, Seneca College or Ryerson University in Toronto.

Unfortunately IMO OpenNIC is a tough sell to IPSs. They will see it as an added cost and possible liability. Academic institutions, on the other hand, tend to embrace the ideology, and specialize in running and exploring new ideas beyond the mainstream. After all, that's how Google search was born. :)

It may be worthhwhile to reach out to practical community college programs specializing in teaching networks. I know Seneca has at least one. Students typically work in a lab setting and don't really get a chance to run a production service. I'd pitch running OpenNIC public resolvers as a pilot "high level" course, mich like a one or two-term practicum where students (or small groups of students) get to apply what they have learned in the classroom by running an OpenNIC resolver under the direction of their seasoned and experienced prof.

Another angle is net neutrality research. That may be interesting to more high-level academic institutions such as universities. After all, OpenNIC is a living, breathing example of net neutrality implementation, and as such, may spark interest with appropriate research groups.

I'm just thinking out loud here... take this with a grain of salt.

Rouben

On Saturday, 21 May 2016, Roman Hargrave <roman AT hargrave.info> wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 09:44:55 -0400
en3r0 <en3r0.x AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been observing the project for several months now, here and lurking
> the IRC.
>
> Has anyone reached out to ISPs or others about having OpenNIC used as a
> default solution?
>

> -en3r0

Not to my knowledge as a casual observer. That being said, the best solution would be for ISP's to
run a slave server to the official opennic master, as this would eliminate the occasional reliability issues.

Rouben