discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] .core TLD Proposal

Re: [opennic-discuss] .core TLD Proposal

  • From: Verax <verax AT 8chan.co>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] .core TLD Proposal
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 22:19:48 -0500

For what it matters, FurNIC is technically not part of OpenNIC, just a
peer. So what arrangements we have for them should not necessarily be
taken as precedent for OpenNIC TLDs.

Secondly, I'm surprised no one has questioned TOWER before this. It's
also not been brought up by the proposer, which seems to be a touch out
of order to me.

From the proposer's email (josephmarsden AT towerdevs.xyz), towerdevs.xyz
seems to be the group in question, which is comprised of Joseph Marsden,
Jonah Aragon, and 2 other psuedoanonymous parties.

I feel that that information should have been disclosed at the start,
not dug up by me.

I also take issue with a few parts of the charter. I won't get into the
pricing bit or the reserved domains, as others have already covered that.
First is that the use case for .core is extremely specific and
ambiguously worded. The promote clause implies that it is only for
advertising purposes, and the purpose statement as a whole can be
interpreted in a number of ways.
"TOWER" has heavy administrative power over the proposed .core, but is
never clearly defined in the document. This is definitely not
acceptable. At the bare minimum a link to the website is in order.
(Yes, I know the domain is in there, however each time it's listed, it's
for other reasons)
Some of your contact emails use towerdevs.xyz, others use .core
domains. There should be a .core AND an ICANN domain for each contact.

And finally, it's not really a complaint, but please clean up the
commas. There are a number that are redundant, and if you're not going
to use Oxford commas then don't use multi-clause sentences.

Regards,
Verax