discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Voting platform / DokuWiki plugin implementation - request for comments: hiding vote results until the voting ends

Re: [opennic-discuss] Voting platform / DokuWiki plugin implementation - request for comments: hiding vote results until the voting ends

  • From: Rouben <rouben AT rouben.net>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Voting platform / DokuWiki plugin implementation - request for comments: hiding vote results until the voting ends
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 12:31:04 -0400

Here are my $0.02 on the topic...

I think that voting is normally confidential (secret ballot) mainly to ensure that voters can't be influenced into voting differently from how they truly wish to vote. For example, say your close friend proposes a vote, and votes "yes", hoping everyone else, including you, would support them. You, however, feel like it's a bad idea and want to vote "no", however, in order not to upset your friend and compromise your friendship, you end up voting "yes".

On the other hand, given the nature of OpenNIC (we're all about openness and transparency, no?), and your point about following experienced users, I think we need to have a larger discussion on this topic. I don't think that's necessarily a good idea: if you are not sure how to vote, either educate yourself on the topic and vote to the best of your knowledge, or don't vote at all (voting is not mandatory). In fact if you are not adequately prepared, not voting is better than blindly voting the same way as OpenNIC "elders" just because they're more experienced.

Having said all this, as things stand now, mailing list voting is obviously not confidential, so from a formality perspective, I think Fusl is actually proposing a change on OpenNIC voting protocol, not merely how software is configured. So I think it would be best to discuss and vote (formally, using the ML for now) on whether OpenNIC voting should be secret ballot or completely open, like a forum or social media poll. If that's not desired at all, we should emulate the voting process as closely as possible to its current form (i.e. keep it completely open and public, no secret ballot).

Rouben