discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] .front TLD

Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] .front TLD

  • From: gitgud AT tfwno.gf
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Cc: Christopher <weblionx AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] .front TLD
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 13:46:37 -0500

The concept of a "united front" simply refers to an organizational tactic,
and our choice of the word comes from the definition used within the
Merriam-Webster dictionary:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/united%20front

I also happen to like http://9front.org/ a lot, which is probably a much
more benign explanation than you're expecting as to why I selected that
word in particular.

As for "useful additions", I believe you're entirely mistaken. This may
be one of the most useful additions we'll have had in months.

There is a demand for this sort of thing already extant: the popularity of
services like https://riseup.net and https://disroot.org have demonstrated
an extremely high demand for politically minded services on the internet,
while .republican, .gop, and .democrat already exist as politically-minded
top level domains via ICANN.

With the repeal of net neutrality, we are presently faced with a rare moment
where people will stop and consider alternative internet services and protocols.
Many of these users will ostensibly do so with political motivations, and will
want to create and populate spaces where they can freely express their views
without fear of censorship or reprisal. We have extremely powerful incentive
to promote OpenNIC as a space where this is possible. With the establishment
of .front, we will have a space explicitly for that purpose.