discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Current SSL situation

Re: [opennic-discuss] Current SSL situation

  • From: Jonah Aragon <jonah AT triplebit.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Current SSL situation
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 22:29:08 -0600

After giving it some thought, I’m not necessarily sure we should have (an) “official” CA(s) at all. It may be a better idea to just have a list on the Wiki or elsewhere of CAs operated by community members. Users can judge based on how many sites utilize it, the verification processes for issuance, if it’s public—accepting issuance applications—or private, and how trustworthy the operators are, in a similar fashion to how users currently choose DNS servers.

An official centralized OpenNIC CA may not be what the spirit of this organization is about. A more decentralized solution could possibly work better in this aspect.

It’s late, and maybe that’s a bad idea. Just a thought.

Re: Theo: if these other entities were to operate an official CA, as proposed, then OpenNIC would be associated with said entities, by definition.

Jonah