discuss - [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Using the DokuWiki as our voting platform

[opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Using the DokuWiki as our voting platform

  • From: Fusl <opennic AT lists.dedilink.eu>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Using the DokuWiki as our voting platform
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 10:12:39 +0200

Hi all,

I've recently been working on a DokuWiki plugin to allow OpenNIC members to
start votings in a centralized place that is more cleanly, straight forward
and easier to use: https://github.com/opennic/dokuwiki-opennic-vote-plugin

The plugin was enabled on our wiki.opennic.org instance since a few months
but was not mature and stable enough. It can be seen in action here:
https://wiki.opennic.org/votings (scroll down to the end of the page). With
the latest commit
(https://github.com/opennic/dokuwiki-opennic-vote-plugin/commit/4d5dd3075168fa383508b29f8486f881746c7bc8)
the plugin became more stable and ensures that all votes are recorded now.

To create a new voting, one has to browse to
"https://wiki.opennic.org/votings/new_voting_name_here?do=edit"; and fill the
textarea with

====== Piwik ======
<columns 100% 30% 70%>
<devote title="Test Voting" close="2018-10-18">
* Option 1
* Option B
* Other Option
* etc.
</devote>
<newcolumn>
<code>
Long, detailed text of what is being voted on.
</code>
</columns>

This creates a new wiki page that is automagically included into the /votings
page where all previous and currently open votings are displayed in
chronological order (newest to oldest). Once a voting expires
(`close="2018-10-18"` field), it is automatically closed, no new votes are
possible and the results are displayed.

Note that our DokuWiki instance automatically syncs changes to GitHub
(https://github.com/opennic/wikipages/commit/b66d3f5758fc4181a15786c9346ed72775f4f3c3)
and GitLab
(https://gitlab.com/opennic/wikipages/commit/b66d3f5758fc4181a15786c9346ed72775f4f3c3)
so anyone interested can go there to verify the end results of votings by
comparing these to the results displayed on the wiki.

What do you all think about using the DokuWiki system for voting going
forward from now on?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Fusl