discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [opinion] Corporate strategies yields corporate results

Re: [opennic-discuss] [opinion] Corporate strategies yields corporate results

  • From: Amunak <amunak AT amunak.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [opinion] Corporate strategies yields corporate results
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 11:24:54 +0200

On 26.07.2018 10:42, vv AT cgs.pw wrote:
It's a little jarring to hear constant reference
to 501(c)3 as if we're all Americans. If this is
supposed to be an international group then it is
somewhat off-color to make such an assumption.
The US is not the center of the world.

This is a very important aspect.

Like, no offense to any Americans here, but the US are probably one of the worst places you could pick outside of non-democratic countries. They have a history of shamelessly oppressing people, suppressing freedom of information, censoring stuff and making private decisions in secret courts while sending C&D letters with gag orders attached. If you want to pick any country, it should be one where no such secret shenanigans are possible, and ideally one that respects information freedom and one that doesn't just block websites when they feel like their ideas, friends or corporations are being endangered by  them.

Like, there's a very real possibility that if our servers (or members' / T2 servers) were used by a third party for something illegal you could possibly be forced to release logs, or secretly log more stuff, or even be responsible for not logging stuff.

I'd say have a non-profit in one of  the nordic countries, or somewhere else in Europe... Though with some recent happenings and the history of IT in Germany and France (or, god forbid, in the UK) we may be even better off outside Europe's (or, like the EU) influence as well.