discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] DNS+TLS

Re: [opennic-discuss] DNS+TLS

  • From: Rouben <rouben AT rouben.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] DNS+TLS
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 01:40:43 -0400

Ok, when an DNS over TLS and/or DNS over HTTPS resolver is set up (doesn’t have to be listed on servers page), please post details here; I’d be willing to test.

By the way, a cross-platform implementation of a DNS over TLS/HTTPS client is here:
https://github.com/getdnsapi/stubby

Rouben

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 19:09 Jacob Bachmeyer <jcb62281 AT gmail.com> wrote:
Daniel Quintiliani wrote:
> Isn't that what's built into Tor Browser?

No, Tor does DNS resolution on its own, by asking the exit node to
perform name lookups. This is the reason that OpenNIC cannot be (easily)
used with Tor: the exit node's DNS configuration determines what names
are resolvable and the Tor network currently is sticking to the ICANN
root simply to avoid unstable resolutions if different exit nodes use
different DNS roots.

Put another way, Tor does not use your DNS configuration at all.

-- Jacob
> --
>
> -Dan Q
>
> On Fri, 3 May 2019 10:25:35 -0500, <alejandro AT dnslibre.com.mx> wrote:
>

>> Hello, i think no one is using DNS+TLS, I will take a look and if I make it work I’ll let you know
>>

>>  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_over_TLS> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_over_TLS
>>

>> so far says not all OS support it.
>>

>> But lets try.
>>

>> AlejandroM