discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] broken https on reg.libre

Re: [opennic-discuss] broken https on reg.libre

  • From: Rouben <rouben AT rouben.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] broken https on reg.libre
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 07:25:49 -0400

Hi,

Since you bring up TOFU (Trust On First Use), I wanted to also chime in on the whole TLS cert situation.

I think some things have changed since we last looked at it.

1. There are more ACME service (not just client) implementations available than before. For example, Smallstep CA seems like an easier to manage implementation that Let’s Encrypt’s boulder:

2. As part of implementing a DNS change, we could ask our users to also import our root certs.

3. If we use ACME, we can set things up as follows (rough sketch, just off the top of my head):

a) root cert - private key on a restricted machine or the CA operator’s hardware token like a YubiKey. The public key/self-signed cert for this one is published on opennic site and is what we ask our users to trust when they deploy our DNS

b) intermediate - valid for 6 months, needs to be semi-automatically renewed (resigned) by (a) - CA operator does this with their hardware token/Yubikey on a secure, dedicated, offline machine.

c) client certs - valid for 1-3 months, requested and issued exclusively through ACME protocol, signed by (b). Private key for (b) lives on ACME server.

What are your thoughts?

Rouben