discuss - [opennic-discuss] My T2 are banned from serveral financial-sector auth dns

[opennic-discuss] My T2 are banned from serveral financial-sector auth dns

  • From: Lennart Seitz <mail AT lseitz.de>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] My T2 are banned from serveral financial-sector auth dns
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 15:59:07 +0200

Hi Discuss List!

Im new to the list so hopefully this is the right place for my question,
if not i apologize.

Apparently multiple finance-sector auth DNS banned my T2 servers from
recursion any of their hosted domains, i dont think their names are
important but they are independent from each other. All my servers are
using binds upstream rate-limit to not spam upstream auth servers to
much and also clients are rate limited and the traffic level of the
servers is minor (~peak round about 10 mbit).

Has anybody experienced something like this? It wonders me that both
come from financial sector, i have not experienced anything like that
yet and both servers are running for quite some time now.

I tried to contact them but only got "your system is detected as a
thread, no details can be shared". My best guess would be that the
servers were used for DNS-AMP attacks towards their servers, but the
rate limit kicks in quite fast and the traffic towards one upstream
server never exceeds 6-8 mbit, and that only for like 1 second, banning
for that seems unreasonable to me.

May i ask (if you are using bind9) what kind of values for
fetches-per-server and fetch-quota-params are reasonable for a T2?

Also any other input is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Lennart Seitz

  • [opennic-discuss] My T2 are banned from serveral financial-sector auth dns, Lennart Seitz, 06/30/2020