discuss - [opennic-discuss] Just a reminder about scam emails

[opennic-discuss] Just a reminder about scam emails

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: Discuss <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Just a reminder about scam emails
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 17:30:18 -0600
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx2.computerrehab.us 8BE1C2D388

I have seen quite a few scam emails come through this mailing list so I wanted to point out one of the most obvious ones.  This one claims to be a hacker who has remote control of your computer, further claims to have recorded you "pleasuring yourself" while viewing adult website, and then attempts to blackmail you in to sending a large sum of money to their bitcoin or other crypto account.

Please just delete these emails.  These idiots are removed from the mailing list when we spot them, and they absolutely DO NOT have any such information.  Since they are sending broadly to a mailing list they probably don't even know your email address, they are simply hoping some people will randomly send them free money.

It's just one of many scams floating around the internet.  If you ever have any doubts, there are a ton of tech people here who can easily tell you if they've seen such a scam before.  Please do not send your hard-earned money to random scammer online!

  • [opennic-discuss] Just a reminder about scam emails, Jeff Taylor, 07/26/2023