discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] New to the list

Re: [opennic-discuss] New to the list

  • From: NYXFER <nyxfer AT panix.com>
  • To: "Hanselka, Alex" <alex AT hanselka.name>
  • Cc: OpenNIC Discuss <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] New to the list
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:57:11 -0500

On 12/01/2010 10:31 AM, Hanselka, Alex wrote:
> I'll try to fix this actually. Thanks for telling me :)

Cool! The pipermail interface is pretty standard with Mailman lists (it
should be functional on your site IMHO). You may also want to look into
NAMAZU [
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=namazu+search+mailman&aq=2v&aqi=g2g-v1&aql=f&oq=NAMAZU+search&gs_rfai=ChH8y13f2TObGHJPIM4Sc4OgBAAAAqgQFT9DOFg4&psj=1&fp=3f2d83e828bdfbc
] as a search facility for pipermail. I have found it very useful when
trying to ascertain the focus of a site, as well as finding relevant
posts to reply to.

If I recall correctly it has something to do with
"/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/list" not being a sym-link to
"/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/list" It's an easy fix as I recall
(and has some security implications), but it's been years since I
managed a Mailman list, so do your due-diligence.

A working pipermail link on your site would go a long way to making it
more user-friendly, and certainly more useful for us "grey-beard geeks"
looking for some subversive work to do.

So DO IT! Please? It's really quite simple. :-)

Then I would like to discuss an alternate "free/non-commercial network"
using existing IP infrastructure as a communications backbone, but
totally non-commercial and totally de-centralized, as an alternative to
the current fascist/corporate-controlled system. I come out of FIDONET's
history, and I believe some of the things we learned back then can form
the basis of a new and egalitarian network riding on the backbone of the
"dumb-pipe" IP network we have inherited.

I see no problems which can not be overcome if we simply create another
NETWORK. A NETWORK for and by the people, one not at the mercy of
corporate control.

Best Regards
Bob

--