discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Technical Problems

Re: [opennic-discuss] Technical Problems

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Technical Problems
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 01:09:30 -0700

For the German servers you mentioned, I assume you are referring to 178.63.26.173 and 217.79.186.148? I just ran a test on both servers, and they are responding fine. So first we want to see what /etc/resolv.conf looks like. Grab a copy of that and paste it into an email to the mailing list.

The next step is to make sure your end (either your servers or your ISP) is not blocking the queries. Try executing this and see what you get:

# dig NS . @178.63.26.173 +short

(Note the spaces around the period!) You should get a list of 7 nameservers returned. If this succeeds, I would next try manually inserting nameserver lines into /etc/resolv.conf. You will likely have a couple lines at the top setting the domain and search parameters. What you need to do is insert the following two lines BEFORE any other nameserver lines in this file:

nameserver 178.63.26.173
nameserver 217.79.186.148

You do NOT need to restart networking, however it may help to restart nscd (if you have it) to flush the DNS cache. After this, start simple - ping google.com. Then move into opennic domains by pinging ns0.opennic.glue and grep.geek. If things seem to be working, try the shortened dig command:

# dig NS . +short

This should return the same list of nameservers as above. If everything appears to be working now, then the problem lies in how your networking script is applying the user DNS entries (which we can probably verify once we see what your original resolv.conf file looks like). Let us know what works and what doesn't, and we'll proceed from there...