discuss - [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki

[opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki

  • From: Caleb Langeslag <takyoji AT gmail.com>
  • To: OpenNIC <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 03:31:47 -0600

I've had a thought recently: Why don't we just have the whole OpenNIC website as a wiki rather than a Joomla installation with a Wikka Wakka installation as a subsidiary? Having the main website under Joomla is only restricting people from being able to contribute and/or fix any content. As for any high-profile or mission-critical pages, we could just have those pages require moderator-approval for changes to become public. I don't see what a wiki installation would be incapable of, as of how the Joomla installation is currently used.

We could also work towards making a very nice wiki theme that's well done that isn't just a recolorization of a default theme (whereas you can look at wiki.ubuntu.com and not tell what wiki solution it is, due to it's extensive branding and theming). Overall, this would also make the OpenNIC website more uniformal. I'm completely willing to do any of the web design and templating work necessary for a custom theme (as long as someone has a decent design idea/draft).